Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

The things I think

As I watched my daughter swing higher and higher, the strangest thought popped in my head. "Why don't we have monkeys in the United States?"

Seriously! Wouldn't it be cool to swing while the monkeys romped in the trees?
Or to squeal with delight and listen as they reply?

But we don't have monkeys. Or elephants. Or zebras. 

And then I wondered why God made okapis. Did He ask Jesus one day, "What if I mix a giraffe and zebra? What do you think? Funny?" My kids come up with those kinds of things, "What if Dad had Superman's powers?" (I better be his Lois Lane!) 

The Congo gets the okapi. We get moles. Just doesn't seem fair.

11 comments:

OneMommy said...

I agree, having monkeys swinging around the backyard would make outdoor chores a little more interesting...

OneMommy said...

I agree, having monkeys swinging around the backyard would make outdoor chores a little more interesting...

ReviewsSheRote said...

some deep thought there!! LOL

I like the picutre of God&Jesus mixing up the animals... =^}

Hezzi-D said...

I've never even heard of a okapis before! What an interesting animal...I'm totally asking a question at school about it this week to see if the kids know what animals it looks like. I also think it would be fun to have monkey's in this country-I so enjoy watching them whenever I go to the zoo.

The Budget Diet said...

Isn't it fun to let your mind wander! I think your next outing needs to be a trip to the zoo!

Karen Dawkins said...

Heather Lynne, Let me know what your kids think of them. They're just sooo cool. I first saw one at the Columbus Zoo. Have loved them ever since! :)

CathyInNC said...

David says it looks like it went to a fancy restaurant without a jacket and a horse loaned it one! ;-). Funny post. David would fit right in with your kids!

Unknown said...

I always find a smile on my face after reading your posts. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I always find a smile on my face after reading your posts. Thank you!

Courtney Pies said...

That first sentence made me chuckle. :)
I've never heard of, much less seen, a okapis! Very interesting, I must say!

-Courtney P.
www.optimisticmommy.com
www.peaceloverecipes.com

The Pepperrific Life said...

Oh, the thinks you can think! :)
I've never heard about the okapi until now. That's an interesting animal, I must say!

I guess, there are just some questions we'll just never get answers to...